WooTSwaP/CraPSwaP Forum Index

WooTSwaP/CraPSwaP
THE place where owning too much crap is a good thing.
Come trade unwanted techstuff, electronic stuff or your impulse purchases.
You can beg for a woot cap, a t-shirt, or even a screaming monkey!
NEWS:
Reply to topic
your computer
coffeenogrumpy
grand poo bah

:

Items
i have a cheesy emachine..
AMD sempron
good enough for me

whatcha got?
m675x
gimmaroon
Site admin & butt kicker

:

Items
A brick of a laptop, but it doesn't go anywhere because it's truly a desktop replacement...and I do mean brick, weighing in @ over ten pounds. Think I'm kidding?::::

http://laptopmag.com/Review/Gateway-M675X

...and this is why I wish woot would do a laptop woot-off, again. I want a laptop that doesn't crush my lap.

Binaural
Post Whore

:

Items
The one I'm on now is self-built (actually, all my pc's are). It's got 1.5 gb of ram, an AMD 2500 (1.8 ghz) processor, and 4 hard drives: 2 80's, a 200, and a 20 GB that's a holdover from a long time ago that I've been too lazy to replace. The video card is an Nvidea GeForce FX 5200, and the motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X. Oh, and the ram is Corsair, with nice shiny silver heatspreaders. I love my case, its the Antec P160. Going to newegg should get you nice pictures of all this stuff, as that's where I picked it up at. Did I mention that Newegg probably gets even more of my "disposable" income than woot?

Edit: How could I forget optical drives?! There're two, a dvd +- r/rw drive (4x, waiting to be swapped w/ the one I bought from woot a couple weeks ago), and a 16x dvd-rom drive.

Site admin & butt kicker

:

Items
I wish I was geeky enough to build my own, but I need a laptop, anyway.

full of much crap

:

Items
gimmaroon wrote:
I wish I was geeky enough to build my own, but I need a laptop, anyway.

You know there are coupons on dell laptops that expire today Wink You know where to find them.. hehe...

Back OT...

5 PC's in the house.. all self-build ranging from Athlon 2400 to p4 3.0 ghz.

vid cards range from on board to ti-4600

dvd-rw 16X in all

cd-RW's

Hard drives ranging from 40 gig to 250 gig..

standard other junk Wink

And Gimma.. don' let anyone fool ya.. it's not that hard to build a PC. My 11 year old has built his own and m 4 years old pretty much put together his own (under my watchful eye). Well he put all the hardware in, I did the os install. Really, it isn' that hard... and before you say you can't do it... I bet you can! Smile

Honestly, the longest and "hardest" part is the OS install and making sure everything has installed properly.

Find all the Best Deals, Coupon Codes and Freebies on the net!!
gimmaroon
Site admin & butt kicker

:

Items
Lol...yeah, I know exactly where to go; lots of moneysaving going on...I know.

I know I could build one, just prefer a laptop and this one has more capabilities than I even know how to how to use, hehe.

full of much crap

:

Items
right now i'm on an HP zd7000 laptop. nice little machine all in all. much nicer since i took some lysol wet wipes and cleaned the 9 months of Iraqi crap, dust and grime off the keyboard that had accumulated. I feel like i'm on a new computer!! *lol*

i just bought an HP desktop off of woot, so once i get home i'll have that going. and i've got a personally built Athlon 1 GHz running at home, overclocked to 1.2 or 1.3 GHz, i forget which. Raid 0, all the good stuff for the time it was built. it's kind of dated now, but it's still a nice little computer.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Binaural
Post Whore

:

Items
whatsyourdeal.com wrote:
it's not that hard to build a PC. My 11 year old has built his own and m 4 years old pretty much put together his own (under my watchful eye). Well he put all the hardware in, I did the os install. Really, it isn' that hard... and before you say you can't do it... I bet you can! Smile

I've supervised (via telephone) my dad building pc's. It took some convincing, but now I have no doubt that I could ship him a box of parts and he'd be able to put it together. He'd probably agree with you about the os install being the most time consuming part.

Site admin & butt kicker

:

Items
Binaural wrote:
whatsyourdeal.com wrote:
it's not that hard to build a PC. My 11 year old has built his own and m 4 years old pretty much put together his own (under my watchful eye). Well he put all the hardware in, I did the os install. Really, it isn' that hard... and before you say you can't do it... I bet you can! Smile

I've supervised (via telephone) my dad building pc's. It took some convincing, but now I have no doubt that I could ship him a box of parts and he'd be able to put it together. He'd probably agree with you about the os install being the most time consuming part.

That part I'm good at, lol. I've corrupted my os enough times that I'm an old hand at that. Wink

Moderator/Tech. Advisor

:

Items
My system is custom built, and usually runs decently. It has 256 MB of RAM, but 32 have been stolen by the onboard video card. I just got the Xtasy9200 from the Woot!-off, so that will be fixed. I am running WinXP Home, with an 80 GB hard drive. I also just ordered an Inspiron 2200 for school.

www.belarc.com/free_download.html has a free program that gives you a .html file with everything conceivable about your system.

Last edited by ccanni1028 on Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
ccanni1028
Moderator/Tech. Advisor

:

Items
gimmaroon wrote:
Binaural wrote:
whatsyourdeal.com wrote:

That part I'm good at, lol. I've corrupted my os enough times that I'm an old hand at that. Wink

Are you on PC or Mac? If PC, then I am sure you have done the Microsoft registration over the phone at least once, right? I am on another group that is having the discussion about how bad their computer is with voice recognition on the registration keys.

By saying you have corrupted it multiple times, I am going to guess you are using WinXP.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
gimmaroon
Site admin & butt kicker

:

Items
ccanni1028 wrote:
gimmaroon wrote:
Binaural wrote:
whatsyourdeal.com wrote:

Are you on PC or Mac? If PC, then I am sure you have done the Microsoft registration over the phone at least once, right? I am on another group that is having the discussion about how bad their computer is with voice recognition on the registration keys.

By saying you have corrupted it multiple times, I am going to guess you are using WinXP.

Well, okay, twice and ding ding ding, XP.

Post Whore

:

Items
ccanni1028 wrote:
here is what I have: except I am about to add the VisionTek Xtasy graphics card from the Woot-off.

www.belarc.com/free_download.html to get the program that makes that info page.

I don't really think it's a good idea to go posting your registration keys for stuff like ms office and windows. That's a little more towards the stupid rather than brave side. Embarassed

Oh, and good thing you're putting in a video card, onboard video sucks. Don't forget to disable it in the bios.

edit: or your mac address.

Last edited by Binaural on Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Moderator/Tech. Advisor

:

Items
The worst part about an onboard video card is that it cuts down on the amount of visible memory in the system. My 256 always shows up as 224.

Thanks for letting me know about the licencing thing. I didn't realise all of the keys were listed there. I removed the link to my results. Can you please remove it from yours? Thanks!

gimmaroon
Site admin & butt kicker

:

Items
Binaural wrote:
ccanni1028 wrote:
My system is custom built, and usually runs decently. It has 256 MB of RAM, but 32 have been stolen by the onboard video card. I just got the Xtasy9200 from the Woot!-off, so that will be fixed. I am running WinXP Home, with an 80 GB hard drive. I also just ordered an Inspiron 2200 for school.

www.belarc.com/free_download.html to get the program that makes that info page.

I don't really think it's a good idea to go posting your registration keys for stuff like ms office and windows. That's a little more towards the stupid rather than brave side. Embarassed

Oh, and good thing you're putting in a video card, onboard video sucks. Don't forget to disable it in the bios.

edit: or your mac address.

EEEEK! TMI! ccanni, maybe you should photoshop some of that info out...or I can just delete the links from the quotes, if you'd prefer.

Last edited by gimmaroon on Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:44 pm; edited 3 times in total

Moderator/Tech. Advisor

:

Items
yes please, gimmaroon!

Binaural
Post Whore

:

Items
ccanni1028 wrote:
The worst part about an onboard video card is that it cuts down on the amount of visible memory in the system. My 256 always shows up as 224.

Thanks for letting me know about the licencing thing. I didn't realise all of the keys were listed there. I removed the link to my results. Can you please remove it from yours? Thanks!

done.

full of much crap

:

Items
ccanni1028 wrote:

i don't have those problems with microsoft phone support. i refuse to call them or play their little "anti-piracy" games.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
gimmaroon
Site admin & butt kicker

:

Items
Binaural wrote:
ccanni1028 wrote:

done.

Wow, nicely done Binaural...took me 3 times to get it right.

Post Whore

:

Items
gimmaroon wrote:
Binaural wrote:
ccanni1028 wrote:

done.

Wow, nicely done Binaural...took me 3 times to get it right.

heh... Guess I have more practice editing posts. Embarassed

full of much crap

:

Items
Have an old Gateway. GC
Someday I'll get a laptop. bouncyblob
your computer